Monday, June 8, 2009

Oh working. 33 hours in 3 days is quite a feat. Especially when you are not used to working at 17 hours at a time. Which is what I did on Saturday. My feet killed me at the end of the night while I was standing in a barn's "kitchen" helping with catering for a wedding. All of the guests were wasted off of beer and mixed drinks and the bride kept complaining that she wouldn't eat until she got her pad thai. Which was the thing we couldn't give her because the kitchen didn't send the noodles. So 2 hours late the bride finally got it, although both Colleen and K made a lot of calls to local restaurants to get the substitute. In addition, K was not in the best of moods (probably because of the marathon of a day that lay ahead) and I didn't get yelled at, more like "alex, do you know what you are doing" tone. It was nice to have Colleen and Amanda AA there at the event though. The two of them were familiar faces that would tell me what to do. I felt out of my element not in a kitchen and dealing with people.

Working for K does give me a lot to think about when I am working though. Mostly about what is good to do with catering, what I like about catering, what I don't like and menus. I love her food, but I guess I have dealt with organics and healthy foodies for so long Aunt Mary's cookies and making everything with mayo and sour cream doesn't quite fit into my plan of ways for my future. I want to make food healthy, good for you, and delicious. In addition, I want to create a good environment. It's really good that I am working for her, I appreciate her more than she probably knows. It's a tough business, especially since my mother likes to point out all the negative aspects of this profession, like no summer, no nights free, feast or famine, etc. In addition to all of this I still want to do photography, wedding, commerical, etc. Seriously, if Food and Wine offered me a position to take phtoos or cook for them I would leave everything, even Pittsburgh behind and left to go where they wanted me.

Now, with the photos.



In explanation, I got burned twice in two days by the industrial oven. Only the thumb blistered slightly, but I sucked it up like a big girl. I am also driving my once gramma, then dad's lincoln contintial. Its a boat. Then there is the picture of you. I loved it, thus on here. Also, I did a photoshoot with Katelyn and Amber on Amber's roof.

I have to edit the photos, but not here in my coffee shop.

No comments:

Post a Comment